Like the AUSTRALIS ex-AMERICA, the REGINA MAGNA was one of the largest and more impressive passenger ships in the old Chandris Fleets. She cruised only for two years, 1972 to 1974, as the fuel consumption was too high for her to pay the way.
Built in France for Sud Atlantique as PASTEUR in 1939 as a replacement to the famous L'ATLANTIQUE. Like ANDES she had to postpone the maiden voyage to South America in September 1939, thanks to the WW2, but her military transport service lasted until 1956 when she was laid up in Brest following extensive trooping to Indochina and the Suez.
Sold to NDL in 1957 and rebuilt as the BREMEN in 1959 she was introduced on the Bremerhaven - New York service as flagship of the German Merchant fleet. Sold to Chandris Cruises in 1971 and delivered in early 1972 after the final New Year's cruise to Madeira and Lisbon.
Texto e imagens /Text and images copyright L.M.Correia. For other posts and images, check our archive at the right column of the main page. Click on the photos to see them enlarged. Thanks for your visit and comments. Luís Miguel Correia