Saturday, December 17, 2011

Harld & Wolff and SS ANDES

Advertisement of Messrs Harland & Wolff, the famous British shipbuilders printed in the pages of The Marine Engineer and Naval Architect, December 1920 issue, presenting the handsome A-class SS ANDES built for the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company's South America service.
The 15.620 GRT liner was launched on 8 May 1913 sailing on her maiden voyage on 26 September 1913. In 1915 she was converted as an Auxiliary Merchant Cruiser and as such in 1916 engaged the German auxiliary cruiser GREIF with her sister ALCANTARA. GREIF as well as ALCANTARA were both lost and ANDES rescued the survivors from both ships.
After WW1 she returned to the South America run in November 1919 and was fitted as a 450-pax cruise ship in 1930 under the name ATLANTIS.
As such she became one of the more famous cruise ships of the twentieth century until in 1939, with war again in Europe, the ATLANTIS was converted to Hospital Ship duties.
She again survived the war, to be engaged in emigrant services to Australia and New Zealand 1948 to 1952 when she was broken up at Faslane, Scotland.
Texto e imagens /Text and images copyright L.M.Correia. Favor não piratear. Respeite o meu trabalho / No piracy, please. For other posts and images, check our archive at the right column of the main page. Click on the photos to see them enlarged. Thanks for your visit and comments. Luís Miguel Correia
Post a Comment