Sunday, January 11, 2009

SAGAFJORD in Lisbon in 1975

The Norwegian America Line cruise ship SAGAFJORD of 1965 photographed in Lisbon in 1975 while cruising from New York, still in her original looks with buff mast.
SAGAFJORD is one of my favorite ships and I have been very lucky to have photographed her several times in original form as well as after modernization, in Cunard livery, as
GRIPSHOLM and as
SAGA ROSE.
All good things come to an end and this ship will be withdrawn from service next December thanks to the new SOLAS 2010.
In my memorabilia collection I have the NAL original card "compliments" sent by the company with information and photos of their ships.
This is one of my earliest photos taken in 1975 with a Olympus camera. Although I actually did my first photos in July 1970 it took until February 1975 to have a good camera... The boxes seen in the terminal were "steamer trunks" disembarked from the INFANTE DOM HENRIQUE then on her final voyages bringing back home Portuguese Africa refugees due to the independence of Angola, Mozambique, etc...
Texto e imagens /Text and images copyright L.M.Correia. For other posts and images, check our archive at the right column of the main page. Click on the photos to see them enlarged. Thanks for your visit and comments. Luís Miguel Correia

No comments: