Saturday, November 17, 2012

The old QUEEN MARY

I first stayed aboard the Queen Mary in August 1978. It was fascinating to see the then 42-yr old ship restored and operating. I often hear recollections of the great Cunarder such as these from Mary Hyde. 
I remember going to New York for the first time in 1955. I was aboard theQueen Mary. It was the first sailing after a long strike. The ship was off schedule. There were only 600 passengers onboard [out of a possible 2,000]. We had amazing service. My grandparents had been lost on theTitanic and so that voyage on the Queen Mary was a kind of very special connection for me to them. I remember members of the British Fencing Team were allowed to use the cabin class pool even if they were in tourist class, and watching well-dressed passengers dancing in the lounge even as the ship plowed through a gale. I also won $15 at bingo and then used the money to make a ship-to-shore phone call to my parents back home in England. That was a very great treat!"
Texto e imagens /Text and images copyright Bill Miller. Favor não piratear. Respeite o meu trabalho / No piracy, please. For other posts and images, check our archive at the right column of the main page. Click on the photos to see them enlarged. Thanks for your visit and comments. Luís Miguel Correia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

https://www.facebook.com/RMSQueenMary?ref=ts&fref=ts

Parece que os actuais proprietários não têm feito muito pela conservação do navio...

Pedro Soares