With their most important passenger liners destroyed during World War 2, the Italian Line developed a progressive newbuildings programme in the late nineteen forties and the first pair of crack liners was introduced in 1951-52 with GIULIO CESARE and her sistership AUGUSTUS, two great motor liners fitted with the main engines built in 1939 for the modernization of pre war sisiters ROMA and AUGUSTUS, that never took place due to the war.
At first both new ships operated on the Mediterranean - South America East Coast, sailing direct from Barcelona to Rio de Janeiro, but at a later stage both sisters became regular visitors to Lisbon, and as such the GIULIO CESARE, made her final call in 1973 and AUGUSTUS in January 1976.
Texto e imagens /Text and images copyright L.M.Correia. Favor não piratear. Respeite o meu trabalho / No piracy, please. For other posts and images, check our archive at the right column of the main page. Click on the photos to see them enlarged. Thanks for your visit and comments. Luís Miguel Correia